Thursday, September 17, 2009

Today

We rant.

Sometimes stories can only tell you as much as the author intends to. And nothing beats a well-placed ramble.

So here I go.

Today I had coffee. Something I thought I got rid of a long time back. I love the taste - bitter and sweet all at the same time. And the heat from the hot water stings you, reminding you not to take all of it at the same time.

But I am greedy, and so I ask for lower temperatures so that I become the master of my indulgence.

In the background, I’ve got Lucky by Mraz and Calliat. It’s a good song and I recommend anyone who reads this to turn it on now before you go on.

So the coffee - masterful concoction of the cliche of bitter and sweet - annotates us to the little moments in life where we enjoy both joy and sorrow, makes us think back on moments when our heart ached while our lips curled up in smiles. Add in the sting from the high temperature and you’re one good Forest Gump analogy away from a Booker Prize.

Do you hear me talking to you?
Across the water, across the deep blue ocean,
Under the open sky, oh my,
Baby I’m trying.

That’s the problem though - people don’t listen. And I’m not the one complaining either. If I had a dollar every time I got a missed call on my mobile…

So you shout all you want, as long as you’re happy.

Here’s a list of 5 things I like -

1. Cats
2. Smiles
3. Cooking
4. Having fun
5. Shirts and Shoes.

Ok so it’s six things, sue me.

People change things all the time, and we being The Rest of the World, can only sit and watch. There’s a certain beauty about last-minuteness that we fail to appreciate sometimes.

It’s spontaneous, it’s fun, it’s great… So it’s worth taking that unknown turn down an unknown road - if only just for that instant. That way you won’t spend the next few days wondering if.

Here’s a list of 5 things I would like to change -

1. People should smile more
2. Cats should all die naturally
3. The weather in Singapore should be like NOT HOT
4. I should be less temperamental
5. People should like change

So next time you see a dark corner, just jump into it ok? Who knows it might actually be fun.

They don’t know how long it takes
Waiting for a love like this.
Every time we say goodbye
I wish we had one more kiss.
I’ll wait for you I promise you
I will.

If I had 20 cents every time I hear someone promise something to someone else, I’d have more money than if I had a dollar for every time I miss a call on my mobile.

I, for one, would have contributed a significant amount to that trust fund. TRUST fund! The irony.

So last but not least, here’s a list of 5 things I think are most promised to people all over the world-

1. Stories have to have happy endings
2. It’s going to be better
3. Yes sir, your money will return to you at least double in 2 years
4. Bao jiat (sure sweet!)
5. I love you

But that’s not to say it’s all balderdash. I also believe that we all get what we deserve, someday. And till that day comes, keep at it ok?

Because nothing beats hard work. Now go sweat.

No comments: