Thursday, May 03, 2012

Badminton Racket First Impressions: Gosen Aermet 2100 Limited Edition

Got my hands on a mid-range antique Gosen racket and was eager to try it out so it was off to the courts for a 2-hour session tonight.

The racket felt a little loose, perhaps a characteristic of the two kick-point system that the racket advertises. A little emboss about 5cm from the t-joint raises the kick-point of the racket to bring a higher level of flexibility. To stabilize the racket, the t-joint is widened to form almost a y-joint.

The Gosen Aermet 2100 Limited Edition was strung at 24 with my favorite Yonex Nanogy 98, but the control was sorely lacking, and I found myself reaching for the comfort and control of my trust Carlton Fireblade FX8 three games into the session.

The rather conventional head shape promises more power, and the thick frame around the head (ala Nanoray) adds to the stability of the racket and makes the 2100 Limited Edition quite a head-heavy racket. BUT it didn't give me a lot of kick. It reminded me of back when I first tried out the Yonex Armortec 900 Power, and how that racket totally owned me.

Perhaps with more sessions I will be able to have the hot-melt graphite shaft yield to my control. It took me a few months to get used to the AT900P, and it turned out to be a fantastic attacking racket, so I have high hopes for the Gosen.

Stay tuned!


No comments: