Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Badminton London Olympics: Group Draw results

Here they are, with some comments from me. I think it's too much trouble to create tables of my own, so I did a PrtScn from the BWF website.

Credit to the Badminton World Federation for the excellent table.

My Take: 
This looks pretty easy to predict. I've got hopes for Pablo Albian to beat Taufik, given the Indonesian's terrible form and the Spanish fighting spirit we all love to watch. Watch out also for Boonsak Ponsana in Group E. 


My Take:
Looks rather straight forward to me, but I'm favouring the young Thai Ratchnok to stir up a storm in her first Olympic debut. I've seen her in the few games she's played against Wang Yihan and she was amazing. Definitely World No. 1 material.  

My Take:
I think the Men's Doubles circuit needs a reboot and insertion of fresh faces to make it exciting again. Looking at the lineup, I find it hard to feel any excitement.

My Take:
I have to admit that I'm not a fan of Women's Doubles games. Let's see if the Olympics can change my opinion of the category. Apart from the China and Dutch powerhouses, I have not really seen any of the other athletes play.

My Take:
This discipline is very exciting, and I've grown to look forward to the Mixed Doubles matches in tournaments. I've a soft spot for Adcock and Bankier. I hope they continue the tenacity that they've shown in recent tournaments. 

The Indonesian pairing of Ahmad and Natsir are also great to watch, and I think their Group's probably got the toughest fight, what with Lee Yong Dae looking to defend his title and Laybourn and Kamilla a strong pairing as well.

No comments: