Monday, August 06, 2012

Badminton Racket First Impressions: Yonex Voltric 70

Somehow, the Yonex Voltric 70 has been sitting in my cupboard for the longest time. I've used it a few times but it's not as magical as the infamous VT80 so it kinda got left behind.

There are a few times where I've used it and kind of liked the feeling of the flexible shaft and how it lends power to the swings. But as time went on and I got better at the game, the demand of stiffer shafts relegated the Voltric 70 to the bottom of the shelf.

Today was singles day, and I decided to give the racket another go.

Off the bat the VT70 felt very head heavy, even more so than the Yonex Voltric 80. I attribute this to the flex in the shaft, which loosens the head frame and causes it to swing more than it should.

Clears to the back were great, the shaft once again lending to the ease of hitting, but the smashes were a little hard to time and often came off earlier than expected. One would have to get a really good position far behind the approaching shuttle if you wanted to pull off the perfect smash with the Yonex Voltric 70.

Because of that, I think the racket is more suitable for a doubles game, given the players usually have more time at the back of the court for the set-up and consequent heavy smash.

The issue with the heavy weight continues on defense, with the head refusing to move as fast as I wanted it to.

But, given this is the First Impressions, I'll lay off the criticism and let the racket speak for itself over the course of the next few sessions.

Review soon, hopefully.


No comments: