Thursday, September 22, 2011

Badminton Racket First Impressions: RSL M10 Heat 700

Redemption. This was the racket that proved me wrong; I had it on eBay and the forums, but it won't move. Everyone gave up on it and I was about to send it to the scrapyard of secondhand $50 deals.

So I took it out today to have one more swing, and it took the opportunity to win back my favor.

Zero Air Resistance (ZAR) is the technology employed in this racket that made me put out money for it. The design didn't appeal to me at first, but the weight and the feel made it acceptable. I wanted something shiny anyway.

RSL rackets are held in high regards around the world (except the popular forums where Yonex and Victor reign), and this one is no different. Well made construction from the tapered shaft to the ZAR hole in the T-Joint made this a breeze to swing about.

Shots came heavy and fast despite the 28lbs tension that I've strung on the M10 Heat 700. The tight strings also helped the net play, which surprised even my opponents. Drop shots were a problem as I struggled to put enough energy on the slice to clear the net, but this is a player problem and it'd be unfair to blame it on the racket.

Having a hole in the T-Joint decreases drag and air resistance, which sorta translated to the faster swings that came from my defensive shots. I swung fast and furious with the M10 Heat 700, and I can't be happier.

Perhaps the only thing I can now complain about is how the chrome finishing peels off at the cone after a few good smashes...


No comments: