Thursday, November 13, 2014

Badminton Racket First Impressions: Victor Meteor X90

Hey guys, found out some other site's been taking my article wholesale, so be a sport and bookmark the original site - http://everythinggoeshere.blogspot.sg

###

If you've read some of my previous articles you'll probably know that I'm not a big fan of the Victor Meteor series of rackets. I've used the 60, 70, 80, and JJS, and they've all performed badly for me; somehow they just didn't feel right.

Now when I asked a buddy of mine if he had anything I can review, he offered up his Victor Meteor X90, the latest in the ill-fated series from the Korean badminton giant. I wasn't too up in the clouds over this, but I thought it would be a nice chance to get to know a new racket after so long.

On first touch the racket felt light, like the Yonex Z-Force Ltd 4U. It was stiff as hell and the strings came tight. I thought back about how awful the Z-Force Ltd was and shuddered at the thought of having to test the Meteor X90.

I proceeded to play two games of doubles with the X90, and true to my expectations the racket failed to impress. The head frame got in the way of my shots most of the time and I couldn't get a proper backhand in. Defense was awful coz of the stiffness and I couldn't very well command the front of the court.

Return to sender.

But come singles night, my experience with the Victor Meteor X90 would be a complete turn-around. Armed with white racket, I took to the courts very well. The racket performed considerably better in all areas. I was most impressed by how well my backhands came off, whether I was going for the clear or the drop.

Control at the net was excellent, and I was able to get a good sense of the where all the lines on court were. In fact, it felt so good that I favored the X90 to my go-to Carlton Fireblade FX8!

The sensation went one for about 5 games, and each was as consistent as the other. The Victor Meteor X90's even balanced frame gave me a lot of freedom around the court, adding to the confidence of being able to pull off close to any shot whether I am on the defense or attack.

Only time will tell whether the form keeps up, and I do intend to give it another go at doubles before I write up a comprehensive review.

Keep tuned!

Victor Meteor X90
image from us.victorsport.com 

1 comment:

shekhar's bloggggggg said...

So your current take on this racket after using it for a while ??